While not specifically designed to be gluten-free, the flourless chocolate cake is obviously a great choice for those who can’t eat flour. It is a very rich dessert and you only need a small slice. Most recipes make a very large quantity – like 16 servings. I was just making it for my husband and myself for Valentine’s Day, and we really didn’t need 16 servings! So this recipe makes a more manageable 8 servings (although still a bit more than we REALLY needed!). As usual it is also free of refined sugar, using maple syrup as a sweetener. Enjoy with a chocolate glaze, or with berries and whipped cream.
Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake
- 100 grams 3.5 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and 8" round cake pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Place chocolate chips and butter in a large bowl, and microwave on medium power until melted. Stir until smooth. Stir in maple syrup.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat with a whisk after each addition.
- Stir in salt and vanilla.
- Stir in cocoa and beat with whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes, until top feels firm to touch.
- Cool. Serve as desired.