A fancy lemon cake, especially if you make it in a bundt cake pan. This cake freezes well, if you want to have a cake on hand in the freezer.
Lemon Cream Cake
- 1 package 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large beater bowl beat cream cheese and butter. Beat in the sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs and beat until thoroughly blended.
- Add lemon rind, flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Blend at low speed just until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter in a greased 10 inch bundt or tube pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Insert a toothpick or cake tester in the centre to test for doneness - it should come out clean. Do not underbake.
- Combine lemon juice and sugar. Pour over the hot cake, allowing it to run down the edges between the cake and pan.
- Cool cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges, place a cake plate over top of the pan. Turn the plate and pan over, and carefully remove the pan, so that the cake is sitting on the plate. Cool thoroughly.