This is my favorite chocolate cake recipe. Whenever I make it, it always gets rave reviews. I use it with other icings, and as a base for fancier desserts. If I don’t want a layer cake, I make it in a 9 by 13 inch cake pan (as shown here with Caramel Frosting).
7 minute frosting is one of my favorites too – we used to make it all the time when I was a kid – it was kind of fun to make too. It gives you a light fluffy frosting that is not too sweet. Don’t try to make it on a humid day though – it will turn out grainy instead of fluffy.
The Best Chocolate Cake
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
7 Minute Frosting:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups white or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt chocolate, either on the stove or in the microwave. Set aside.
- Beat butter in large mixer bowl. Add brown sugar and eggs, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and melted chocolate, and beat to combine.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture gradually, alternating with sour cream. Beat after each addition.
- Stir boiling water into the batter - the batter will be thin. Pour into two 9 inch round cake pans which have been greased and floured.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until cake centre springs back when touched. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- In top of double boiler, combine egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook over boiling water, beating with hand or rotary mixer, until it will stand in peaks, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, beat in vanilla. Fill and frost cooled cake.