This recipe is from my (late) Great Aunt Mabel. She and Uncle Roy moved from Winnipeg to Souris after retiring, so Mom had family in town to have coffee with. Auntie Mabel gave the recipe to my Mom, who gave the recipe to me.
Mabel's Date Cake
- 1 cup dates chopped
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 package 6 oz. butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Start this cake the night before: combine dates, boiling water and baking soda. Cool and leave to soak overnight.
- The next day: beat eggs, sugar and shortening together. Stir in flour and baking powder. Mix until smooth. Add dates.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 by 13 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of the cake. Sprinkle butterscotch chips over, then walnuts.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes.