We used to have this cake frequently at home when we were kids. It was my brother Bob’s favourite. It can be served warm on its own, or with ice cream or whipped cream.
Apple Coffee Cake
- About 5 apples
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar 1st amount
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups sugar 2nd amount
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups good quality oil
- 1/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate undiluted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare apples first: wash, pare, core and dice. Measure 4 cups. To them add cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar. Mix well and set aside while you make the batter.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, remaining sugar and salt. Add eggs, oil and orange juice concentrate. Beat until smooth and blended.
- Grease a 10 inch tube pan. Spoon 1/3 of the batter into the pan. Thoroughly drain any juice from the apples. Spoon 1/2 of the apples over the batter. Top with another 1/3 of the batter, then the remaining apples. Top with the remaining cake batter. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Be sure not to underbake.