Sometimes I like the decadent desserts, but more and more lately I am trying to make things that are more healthy, but still satisfy our cravings for something sweet. These tasty honey lemon bars fit the bill – they are made without grains and without processed sugar. We have inhaled half the pan already!
Gluten-Free Honey Lemon Bars
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup liquid honey
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients and let sit for a couple minutes (coconut flour will absorb the liquid and thicken).
- Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Spoon crust into the pan and press evenly over the bottom of the pan. Prick a few times with a fork to allow air to escape while baking.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool before topping with the filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking fairly constantly, until thickened (it should be like a sauce or gravy) - about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour over the cooled crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until filling is set.
- Allow to cool on the counter and then refrigerate.
- Cut into squares.
- You can dust the top with a little coconut flour if desired.