This is good when it is still warm (and when it is cooled too). The cake is a light cake that you can also use without the topping. It makes a nice base for strawberry shortcake (top slices with sweetened strawberries and whipped cream) or with other fruit and ice cream, etc.
Hot Milk Cake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons brown or white sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 3/4 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat milk and butter together until milk is hot but not boiling, and butter is melted.
- In mixer bowl, beat eggs and sugar together until very light. Stir in vanilla.
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder together. Remove beaters and add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with milk-butter mixture. Fold until smooth.
- Spread batter in a greased 9 inch square pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until top of cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Melt butter. Add sugar, milk and coconut.
- While cake is hot, carefully spread topping over. Place under hot broiler and watch until bubbly and golden.