With some leftover pumpkin in the fridge, and a cold blustery day, I had a craving for a comfort dessert. I have recipes for chocolate and vanilla puddings that you make by pouring water over the top to make a sauce, and I thought, why couldn’t you make something like that with pumpkin. So I searched around and found a recipe which I modified as follows. It hit the spot!
Upside Down Pumpkin Pudding
- 1/2 cup butter softenend
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- Cream 1/2 cup butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar together. Beat in egg and pumpkin.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Add to creamed mixture.
- Pour into greased 8 inch square baking dish (or similar size).
- Sprinkle 1 cup brown sugar over batter. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Mix orange juice and boiling water together, and pour evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40-50 minutes.
- Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.