This recipe is from Toby’s Goodeats restaurant in Toronto, where it has been a famous menu item for many many years. I had enjoyed the dessert at Toby’s, so when the recipe was published in a Toronto newspaper, I had to cut it out and make it at home. Best served with ice cream.
Apple Brown Betty
- 11 medium sized apples preferably Spy
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Core and slice apples in eighths. (Peel them too if you prefer. - Toby's made it with the peels on) Spread them over the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 12 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples.
- To make topping, mix the flour and 3/4 cup brown sugar together, cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside.
- Mix 2/3 cup brown sugar with the hot water and lemon juice.
- Pour half of the syrup over the apples. Sprinkle the topping mixture evenly over top. Pour the remaining syrup over the topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 60 minutes. Serve warm.