This was one of our family’s all time favorite desserts when I was a kid. It is unusual to pair apples and chocolate, but this is really good – try it. We always had it with whipped cream on top.
Chocolate Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups thick sliced peeled apples
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch square pan in the oven. Remove and add the brown sugar and lemon juice. Arrange apples on top of the sugar mixture.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar together in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture looks like fine bread crumbs.
- Beat milk, egg and vanilla together with a fork and add to the dry ingredients. Stir just enough to blend. Spoon over the apples and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set on a rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then turn upside down onto a serving plate. Let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes so that all the syrup mixture and apples drop out. Serve warm.