This is one of my favorite comfort desserts. The spicy gingerbread and tangy lemon flavours go great together.
Gingerbread With Lemon Sauce
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Few grains salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Grease an 8 inch square pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices together.
- Cream the butter, gradually add the brown sugar and cream thoroughly. Stir in molasses.
- Beat egg until thick, and beat into the creamed mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture a third at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add boiling water, stirring after each addition. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes. Serve warm with lemon sauce.
- Combine cornstarch, salt and sugar in a small saucepan. Slowly stir boiling water into the sugar mixture.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Cover and cook over very low heat or over boiling water in a double boiler, stirring occasionally, until no raw starch taste remains, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and lemon rind and juice.