Use stale bread – homemade bread is best. If you use Raisin Bread you can eliminate the extra raisins. You can serve it with cream but it’s really good with a vanilla or rum flavoured sauce, or a fruit sauce.
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- Enough bread cubes to thicken
- 1 cup raisins
- Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and milk together. Pour into a large buttered baking dish.
- Add enough bread cubes to thicken (about 4 cups).
- Stir in raisins. Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 45 to 50 minutes, until the pudding is puffed up and brown, and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Serve warm.