One of my favorite appetizers, these are so good. For party convenience you can stuff the mushrooms early in the day, or the day before, and store them in the fridge. Then just pop them in the oven when you are ready to serve.
You can make fresh breadcrumbs by whirling fresh bread or rolls in the food processor or blender – don’t use dry breadcrumbs for this, as you need the moisture of the bread.
- 24 large mushrooms 1 1/2 to 2 inch diameter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Remove the stems from the mushroom caps. Reserve the mushroom caps, and finely chop the stems.
- Heat the butter in a skillet. Add the chopped mushroom stems and the onion. Saute until they are soft. Remove from heat, stir in Worchestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, cheese and salt and pepper.
- Prepared mushrooms may be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 1/2 cup water in a shallow pan. Add mushrooms to dish. Bake about 20 minutes. Serve hot.