This Middle Eastern dip has become very popular. You can buy it ready made in the grocery store, but it is so simple to make, and you can vary the ingredients to your taste. Tahini (sesame seed paste) is high in fat, so use less if you want a lower fat version. You can substitute peanut butter or 1 – 2 tablespoons of sesame oil for the tahini. This dip keeps really well, you can make it several days in advance.
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can 19 oz. chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 - 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whirl garlic in food processor. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. If too thick gradually add more water. Refrigerate for a few hours before serving to let the flavours blend.
- Serve with warm pita bread triangles to dip.