A delicious and different way to serve eggs. This is also great for a quick dinner. Serve over warmed tortillas if desired (as pictured here).
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can 28 oz stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, green pepper and celery. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender.
- Add chili powder to the saucepan and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and oregano. Break up any large pieces of tomato. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Break eggs into sauce. Cover and cook until egg whites are set.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cheese is melted. Makes 4 servings.