This is a great coffeecake, very attractive and it tastes great too. For variety, you can use your choice of pie filling in place of cherry pie filling, e.g. blueberry or apple. You may want to use vanilla extract in place of almond with other pie fillings.
Cherry Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 can 19 oz. cherry pie filling
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Combine milk and lemon juice. Set aside. If you have buttermilk on hand, you can use it in place of the milk and lemon juice, and skip this step.
- Combine flour and sugar in food processor bowl. Add butter and cut in until mixture is crumbly. Remove 1/2 cup of this mixture and set it aside to use for topping.
- To the remaining flour mixture add baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl beat the egg. Add the milk mixture and almond extract. Add to the dry ingredients and whirl briefly to combine.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter over the bottom and about 1 inch up the side of a greased 9 inch springform pan. Spread the pie filling into this shell. Drop spoonfuls of the remaining batter over top of the pie filling.
- Combine the reserved crumb mixture and sliced almonds. Sprinkle over top of the batter. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50 to 60 minutes.