These are a little bit of trouble to prepare, but well worth it – they are yummy! If you like you can sprinkle some raisins and/or nuts over the filling before rolling up the roll. The icing on the top is optional, or you can replace it with a cream cheese frosting.
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup icing confectioners sugar
- milk or cream
- Cream butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in food processor bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. (Or prepare by hand with a pastry blender.)
- Whisk egg and milk together. Add all at once to the dry ingredients and whirl briefly to combine.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll or pat into a 9 or 10 inch square. Spread filling over, and roll up like a jelly roll. Cut into 12 slices.
- Arrange rolls in a greased 9 inch square baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Combine icing sugar with enough milk or cream to make a thin glaze. Drizzle over the rolls.