This is an old recipe that my Mom used to make when we were kids – I have been making it ever since. It’s very simple and quick to prepare, with staple ingredients so you can mix it up at a moments notice. And it is so good served warm from the oven.
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- In food processor, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. (You can also do this by hand with a pastry blender.)
- Whisk egg, milk and vanilla together. Add to food processor. Whirl briefly to combine.
- Spread batter in a greased 8 inch square cake pan. Sprinkle the topping mixture over.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm.