I love breakfast “sandwiches” made with egg, cheese and bacon or ham in a biscuit. I made these buttermilk biscuits for that purpose. I probably made these a little larger than I would if I was making them as a side dish, and I ended up with 7 biscuits (well, 6 1/2). I used this gluten-free flour mix.
Gluten-Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in food processor bowl. Whirl to combine.
- Cut butter into chunks and add gradually to food processor through feed tube while processor is running. Continue to process until it is finely cut in and mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until frothy, and add buttermilk.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into the feed tube while processor is running, and blend a few seconds until it is combined and forms a ball.
- Turn out onto work surface lightly dusted with your flour blend, or rice flour. Roll out to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutter to cut biscuits of desired size. Place biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, until nicely browned.