The classic dream bar features a gooey topping over a shortbread type base. This recipe has an added middle layer of raspberry jam.
Raspberry Dream Bars
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs separated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine flour, baking soda, and sugars. Cut in butter - use food processor or blend with a pastry blender.
- Beat egg and milk together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pat into a greased 9 inch square pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 375 degrees F. Remove from oven and spread jam over top.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg yolks. Add salt, vanilla and chopped walnuts.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the creamed mixture.
- Spread evenly over the jam. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes.