Tortoni is a traditional Italian dessert – the Italian way to serve it is in paper muffin cups. You can make 12 or more servings depending on the size of your muffin cups. For special occasions, freeze it in fancy fluted glasses – like champagne bowls or martini glasses. Then it looks as good as it tastes!
Mocha Nut Tortoni
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar first amount
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar second amount
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- 2 egg yolks slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
- With electric mixer, beat egg whites until quite stiff. Continue beating while adding 1/4 cup sugar.
- In another bowl, whip the cream with 1/4 cup sugar and coffee powder. Add the egg yolks and vanilla. Fold into the egg whites.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, and allow to cool slightly. Fold into the egg white mixture with the almonds.
- Divide into 8 custard cups or other dessert dishes. Freeze at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Garnish as desired - with whip cream or chopped almonds, etc.