This is an old time favorite square recipe, my Mom and my Grandma used to make this all the time. I don’t know why it is called matrimonial cake – there must be a good story though. It can also (more descriptively) be called Date Squares.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 pound dates pitted
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Spread 3/4 of the crumbs in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Mix dates, water and sugar together in a saucepan. Cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- Allow to cool before using.
- Spread over the crumbs in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top of the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes.