Rich and yummy – they aren’t called dream bars for nothing.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons icing confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup coconut
- Combine flour and icing sugar. Cut in butter until fine and mealy - use food processor or blend with a pastry blender. Pat into a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees F.
- Beat eggs well, and add sugar.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the egg mixture and stir. Add vanilla, walnuts, and coconut.
- Spread over the base. Bake at 300 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. The topping will be very soft when removed from the oven, but it becomes firm as it cools. Do not try to cut or remove from the pan until cold.
These are wonderful! I have been looking for a recipe that I used to make about 20 years ago and this is very similar. I omit the baking powder and cut the flour in half for the topping for ultimate ooey gooey-ness!
Have also started putting in a couple of tablespoons of jam into the topping for EVEN MORE ooey gooey-ness!