These must have been one of my Dad’s favorite cookies – he would often suggest we should make up a batch.
Date Filled Oat Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound dates pitted
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cream shortening, butter and sugar. Add milk and then oatmeal.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Gradually add to creamed mixture and stir until combined. Chill dough.
- Roll out 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut with round cookie cutter. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks and put 2 cookies together with date filling.
- Mix dates, water and sugar together in a saucepan. Cook until thick, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Allow to cool before using.