My favorite chocolates are the ones with the maraschino cherry in the centre – so no wonder I like these brownies! I like making these for Valentine’s Day, but they are good any time!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries well drained and halved
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup icing confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- maraschino cherry juice
- Melt butter and chocolate together, and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add sugar and vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture.
- Add flour mixture and cherries to wet ingredients, and stir to blend.
- Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool.
- Blend butter, icing sugar and cocoa together. Add enough cherry juice to make a spreadable icing.
- Spread on cooled cake. Cut into squares. Garnish with cherry pieces if desired.